When we started planning (and I say we like HUBBY even gave it a second thought… ) I had in mind that I wouldn’t get one of the gliders that you see in every other nursery. I was going to be different and try and find a nice wingback chair or something just as cool; maybe even a revamped 70s chair. However as time progressed and I sat in more and more gliders while taking a time out in baby stores I started to think more about getting a glider.
Only one small hitch; they all look like glorified office chairs or the really cool ones cost a bomb.
Enter the internet. I had read on Mikaela’s blog about her revamping of a glider and I’d stumbled upon heaps of how to’s on Pinterest. Plus I’d just found the awesome that is Gumtree so I figured I’d have a look and see if I could find a glider to revamp.
I hit pay dirt and found one advertised for AU$50 which HUBBY managed to barter down to AU$25. It was in great condition and was just what we were looking for as a DIY project.
I did float with HUBBY about sending it to someone else to revamp but he wanted to have a DIY project to call his own so I figured “what the heck” and signed on to do the reupholstering.
I have never sewn cushion covers in my life. In fact I would say my sewing technique is amateur at best. It’s why I like quilting, all the mistakes get hidden on the back. I procrastinated and procrastinated but eventually I made myself sit down and sew the covers.
I used this great tutorial from Little Blue Boo and then winged it. I had picked up this great 70s inspired cotton print from Spotlight for the bargain price of AU$4 per meter. I only needed 2.5m but I got 4m – just in case there was an accident. I managed to sew the covers in a day. (Lots of breaks due to back pain and laziness.)
I’m happy with my first attempt however they’re definitely Monet covers (look better from a distance). The fabric pattern should hopefully cover any spills and thrills.
While I worked on the covers HUBBY finished up the paint job. We decided to go with a gloss black, just for something a little different and to tie in with the colours already in the nursery.
We assembled it in the nursery today and I have to say I’m quietly chuffed with how it’s turned out. The colours in the fabric tie in nicely with the peacock prints and it brings a certain pop of colour to the room. I also love that it works with the Union Jack cushion that I got with my Mum while on recent holidays in Townsville.
Sure, it’s not going to win any prizes for finish and fit, but it’s something that HUBBY and I worked on to make our kids first room that little bit more funky.