Last weekend I started working on assembling my Line Art Quilt. It was such good fun and all week it’s been sitting on the kitchen table taunting me. So with some time on my hands I set to the task of completing the quilt top.
It came together really quickly. Was still a days worth of sewing, but it was an enjoyable day. I managed to “watch” The Notebook, Failure to Launch, Two Weeks Notice and Emma all while working on it. I even baked a chocolate cake in between sewing lines.
As I was sewing I was looking at the back of the quilt and it’s a strange thing to say, but I think I like the back nearly as much as the front. There’s something kind of cool about the rows and rows of pinking sheared fabrics sewn together that gives it a really cool textual effect… it’s like rainbow scales.
When it was done I was a little sad to see it over, but I’m ever so happy with the outcome. I think it looks amazing – the photos don’t do it justice. I’m so happy with the way the dot fabric has worked as a background. I love that I didn’t follow my OCD tendencies and put the jelly roll colours in the order I thought they should go in, I just sewed them as they came off the roll.
The only thing left to do with this top is to trim the edges to make it a square/rectangle. I’m totally too scared that I’ll screw that up so I’m going to leave it and let the machine quilter do it for me. I’d hate to get this far and then make a mistake trimming it and go from a queen bed sized spread to a lap quilt.
As I’ve been working I’ve been thinking about what pattern/colour to do the binding in and I keep coming back to black. I did toy with the idea of a simple white but I’m too worried about it getting dirty. I’m thinking that the black will give it a nice frame. Plus, when you see the back quilt fabrics in action the black might act as a settler to their crazy.
I am a little apprehensive about whether my top and back will be the same size when done. The brilliance of this quilt pattern is that aside from measuring the width of the backing strips I’ve done no measuring whatsoever. It’s just been sewing the jelly roll together with the backing fabric. I only marginally paid attention to the placement of the strips as I was sewing it together to try and keep a balance between the zig and the zag, but I’m not even sure that it will look ok when the sides are trimmed. It’s all a big exercise in hope. Guess we’ll see what comes out of it when I’m finished the back and it’s off to the machine quilters.
All that apprehension aside, I’m so excited to see this quilt finished. I’m still thinking about what quilting pattern to put all over it as well as the most important thing; what to call it. I can’t wait to have it done and covering our new bed. It’s the simple things in life really.
Don’t forget to check out Michelle from Buttontree Lane and her version of the same quilt. It’s completely stunning and totally different from the way I’ve interrupted the challenge.
Also, if this is something you think you’d like to do you can check out where I got the pattern and supplies from here.